Preorder

Tuesday 23 July 2024

A sport I want to try

 I deliberately didn't read this topic from Long and Short Reviews out to my husband, because he would have collapsed laughing. I am definitely not the sporty type. I have, however, certain sports I've enjoyed in the past - dangerous ones.

Back in my student days I was a static-line skydiver. Not a very highly-trained one as I quit before I got too far, but I loved every second of those jumps. There's something beautiful about hanging in mid-air and seeing the chute open above you.

I also did a bungee jump at Battersea Bridge once, which probably would have been scarier if I had been able to see where I was falling - short-sightedness for the win there.

I would definitely do both of those again, but as for new sports, I would love to try wingwalking (which is prohibitively expensive and would also require me to lose weight) and, more groundedly, tennis. I never got to do it at school and so never had the chance to get into it. Instead I was stuck doing swimming every semester, and I'm fairly sure my PE teacher thought terrible things about me given that I managed to skip nearly every week because of an ear infection or my period.

So which sports would you like to try?

9 comments:

  1. Oof, Tanith, you are brave! I'd love to be the kind of person who does bungee jumping and skydiving, but I'm just not. 🤣🫠 What a thrill that must've been!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so brave!

    It’s interesting that there were options at your school. I attended a small, rural school where there was only one gym class and everyone did the same team sports: volleyball, basketball, baseball, football, ect. Maybe running or kickball if the P.E. Teacher was feeling daring. It was terribly boring to me. LOL.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There were technically options, but somehow I always ended up doing the same two or three. I hated school sports.

      Delete
  3. I believe you're totally the sporty type if you are able to jump out of planes and off bridges. Go. You! Here I am over here thinking ballroom dancing is stepping out of my box. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would definitely be stepping out of mine - I love dancing, but can't learn steps.

      Delete
  4. I've always wanted to try a bungee jump but with my hips and knees it's not a good idea at all!

    Tennis is more where I'm at

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be honest, with my back it probably wouldn't be a good idea now either.

      Delete
  5. In contrast, I love to swim (ear plugs and drops to keep from getting ear infections), but my PE teacher had a good laugh every time a sport involved hitting a ball with another object. Tennis definitely beyond me. Indeed, anything beyond croquet beyond me

    ReplyDelete