Coming Soon

Tuesday 28 March 2023

Best non-fiction book I've read

 This topic from Long and Short Reviews was an interesting one. I read a lot of non-fiction in various areas, most often Richard III or on America - I've just finished Kate Andersen Brower's books on the presidency and they were excellent. However the one that came to mind here was "The Brontes" by Juliet Barker.

"The Brontes" isn't a quick read - it's a tome, but Barker's research is in-depth and fascinating. I live reasonably close to Haworth and the Bronte Parsonage, so the Brontes have always interested me, and Barker puts a lot of effort into debunking a lot of the Bronte myths and bringing unknown facts to light. She also gives my favourite Bronte, Anne, her due by going into plenty of detail about her life and writing, which a lot of previous biographers tended to skip over.

So what's the best non-fiction book you've read? I'm always open to a new one.

18 comments:

  1. I only ever read Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte, so I can't say I know the Brontes well at all, though I do like a biography, especially a writer's biography. I might check it out sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn’t know this book existed. Cool!

    Lydia

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't found the Brontes yet, but it's always fun reading about authors. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That sounds like an interesting read! I enjoy reading about authors and recently read a biography of Poe.

    My post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to look for that. Sounds like it would be interesting.

      Delete
  5. I liked Charlotte, but the sibling-synergy is part of the interest too. (I think Anne would be in second place. Having a brother who acted so much like Heathcliff and then writing "Wuthering Heights"...??? ?????)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always preferred Anne and Emily over Charlotte, but that's just me.

      Delete
  6. Btw I love the cover of "I'm With the Band"!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've heard about this book but didn't realize it was a tome. I'll probably take a skip. I get so frustrated by long books.

    Here is my list of nonfiction favorites. I am new to the link-up and giving it a try today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found it was easiest to dip in and out rather than try to read it all in one go.

      Delete
  8. I've actually heard very good things about this one, though I haven't read it myself.

    ReplyDelete