Coming Soon

Tuesday 21 March 2023

A famous book I've never read and why

 This topic from Long and Short Reviews took a bit of thought. I went through a phase many years ago of trying to catch up on my classics, so I got quite a lot of famous books under my belt in those years. I can, however, come up with one I've never managed to get through.

"Tom Jones" by Henry Fielding.

I tried, I really did. I even had a go at the Clandestine Classics version Totally Bound brought out. But it was no good - I just couldn't do it. It's so wordy and so little seems to happen that I simply gave up.

I did initially consider mentioning "Nicholas Nickleby" for this as well. I like some of Dickens, but I prefer his more deeply psychological books like "David Copperfield". I found "Nicholas Nickleby" to be too heavy on the comedy.

So which famous book have you never read?


10 comments:

  1. I love Dickens. David Copperfield is one of my favourites.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 19th century authors tended to be too wordy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did find that, but Tom Jones was particularly bad in that regard.

      Delete
  3. I’ve never read Tom Jones either.

    Lydia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did my best, but after a few attempts I just gave up. Life's too short.

      Delete
  4. You've got me on this one: I haven't read Tom Jones either, and honestly it never even crossed my mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only became aware of it when the Clandestine Classic version came out.

      Delete
  5. It's not unusual to have not read Tom Jones.


    (I'm sorry/not sorry for that...XD)

    ReplyDelete