Coming Soon

Monday 6 November 2023

Something I believed, but found out wasn't true

 I'm back on the Long and Short Reviews hop after a short break, and this topic took a bit of thought since I was trying to avoid the standard Santa/Tooth Fairy/etc stuff. However, it did remind me of something that was a fond memory from when I was a kid.

We, like a lot of suburban neighbourhoods, had our own Santa who would come round the local streets on a float. As a kid I didn't believe that the various Santas in shops were the real one, since even I had noticed that there were several of them, but for some reason I did believe that the one on the float was the real one. Needless to say, it took me a couple of years before I realised that if I told him I wanted something but neglected to tell my parents about it, I wasn't getting it.

I did also, at one point, leave a note under our Christmas tree as I'd forgotten to ask for something and wanted to see if Santa had one going spare. The next morning there was another note under the tree saying he'd run out and to ask again next year. No, I didn't immediately realise the note was in my dad's handwriting, although I really should have. 

So what did you believe that you found out wasn't true?

11 comments:

  1. Ah, Santa's a good one. As kids, I think we 'know' long before we realise it. I think it's a slow stacking of the evidence 🤣

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome back, Tanith. I love this story.

    Lydia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not believing in Santa is like not believing in fairies....(clapping my hands so Tink won't die)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love so much that your dad answered your note!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm impressed he never told me the truth as well :)

      Delete
  5. The wonder of children and love a parents.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry I'm so late in reading these posts. I don't know to what extent I believed in Santa Claus. One year it was "Write a letter to Santa Claus and tell him you'd like..." (The parents already knew what they'd wrapped and piled up under the tree. I didn't even know what some of those things were!) Next year it was "We're not playing that silly old pretend game about Santa Claus any more. The presents were sent by friends, and now we send and receive presents whenever we want to, instead of waiting for Christmas." Whatever. I think I was still young enough to accept anything the parents said--five?

    But I've been blogging long enough to have felt a need to write about more serious corrections that came later...

    ReplyDelete