Coming Soon

Tuesday 17 October 2023

Favourite scary monster

 This topic from Long and Short Reviews was quite appropriate, because I watch a hell of a lot of horror and my preference will always be for something paranormal. I don't mind a slasher film, but don't find them all that scary. I also don't like possession films much - they tend to cover the same ground over and over - and find zombie films quite dull.

The sort of monsters I do like are ghosts, and my absolute favourite is the onryo.

I love J-horror (not always the American remakes, although "The Ring" was good) and will always find an onryo scary. Admittedly they're a bit overused now and "The Cabin in the Woods" proved that, but I will always remember Sadako/Samara crawling out of the television and being absolutely terrified. As were the teenager girls sitting in front of me, who screamed hysterically and then ran out of the cinema.

So what's your favourite scary monster?

14 comments:

  1. I agree, paranormal or supernatural horror is better than the slasher kind. Also, the original Ring movies were brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like paranormal and supernatural horror, too.

    Lydia

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you on slasher films and also like paranormal/supernatural horror. Judy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, good answer! And Japanese folklore is so bizarre by American standards, I love it honestly!

    My post

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's why some J-horror doesn't translate well when they try to remake it. The originals are often better.

      Delete
  5. Glad you like that kind of monster.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, excellent choice! Yes, vengeful spirits can be terrifying.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I definitely prefer my horror spooky rather than gorey, and I LOVED The Ring - both American and Japanese Versions, creeped me out wonderfully!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind gore but I don't find it scary, so paranormal works better for me.

      Delete