Coming Soon

Monday 17 July 2023

Share one interesting fact you know

 I really had to think about this topic from Long and Short Reviews, because while I know quite a few useless facts, how many of them are interesting is open to question. For instance, the fact that First Lady Dolley Madison's favourite ice cream flavour was oyster is one that has stood me in good stead at quizzes, but isn't likely to do much more than raise an eyebrow at any other time. (I know a lot of junk about US presidents and First Ladies, and none of it will ever do me any good unless I get accepted to go on Pointless.)

One that did come to mind recently, though, was when I was discussing the Brontes with a friend. I've always been a great fan of Anne Bronte and we were talking about visiting her grave in Scarborough, where she is buried apart from her family as she died while on a trip there. My friend's comment was "It's a shame she's not buried in Haworth near that curate she was so in love with."

Oh yes, the story of Anne Bronte being in love with William Weightman, which was a huge part of the Bronte canon for years.

My friend was utterly amazed when I told her that Anne was not, in fact, in love with Weightman. There is no evidence whatsoever that she was - the only thing it's based on is a throwaway comment from Charlotte about Weightman eyeing Anne up in church and Anne ignoring him, which doesn't seem unreasonable in the circumstances. I had thought that this had been disproved some time ago, but apparently it's still a thing.

So there we are - it's not a thing. Anne Bronte was not in love with her father's curate.

So what interesting facts do you know?

12 comments:

  1. It’s interesting how fast rumours can spread!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not to mention how long they can hang around!

      Delete
  2. I am not surprised. It's fascinating to me how 'facts' can come about and be recycled endlessly. One close to home to me is that on "Bloody Sunday", Civil Rights marchers were attacked trying to cross a bridge in Selma, Alabama -- despite the fact that photos show them peacefully crossing the bridge and being attacked a quarter-mile away. There is even a historic marker where the attack began! I constantly correct reporters on this matter but none of them care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is interesting - and a pity nobody seems to care.

      Delete
  3. I didn't even know Anne existed until now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's still the least-known Bronte, although people are working on that.

      Delete
  4. That's really interesting. Sort of a historical urban legend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there were a lot of them attached to the Brontes.

      Delete
  5. It's funny how many rumors spread about historical people and then they are said so much it is thought to be truth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These things do tend to linger, unfortunately.

      Delete
  6. Oyster ice cream...(eyeroll) That *is* a fun fact! Is the source available online?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As I recall I learned it on a forum that was behind a paywall, but I should think it's out there somewhere.

      Delete