Coming Soon

Monday 31 July 2023

A Job I Wouldn't Be Good At

 When this topic from Long and Short Reviews came up, a story from my past immediately came into my head.

When I was a kid, I went to my primary school summer fair and encountered a stall which claimed to tell your future using numerology. I got a printout with various predictions on it, most of which I can't remember, but one was "With a sharp and technical mind like yours, you would do well in a career like engineering."

Right.

While it's nice to be told you have a sharp and technical mind, even as a child I knew this was absolute nonsense. While I got a double A* in my GCSE Science, that was primarily by sheer determination and my chemistry and biology scores dragging my physics score up. Physics and maths, which are the sorts of subjects you need for engineering, are definitely not my strong subjects, and while I'm good at using a computer I'm certainly not technical. I would be utterly terrible at engineering.

It's probably just as well I can't remember the rest of the predictions, because if that one is anything to go by they weren't worth remembering. I think it did suggest I would get married in my thirties - I was 27, so they got that wrong as well.

So what job wouldn't you be good at?

12 comments:

  1. Well, you certainly fared better than me in my science exams and I can whole heartedly say, I'd have been a rubbish engineer, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luckily it wasn't something that interested me anyway.

      Delete
  2. I love this story. I wouldn’t have made a good engineer either. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hadn't considered Fortunetelling as a possibility, but I'd definitely be every bit as bad at that one as your numerology stall was!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried doing that when I was a kid and even got it right a couple of times. I suppose even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

      Delete
  4. Haha. I don't mind math, but the 'easy' algebra lessons (those the teach first and at the beginning of the textbook) always trip me up, the the supposed harder math I'm usually better with, go figure! But because of that my grade was always low since I do worse on the lessons most students were good at and better on the one they struggle with. And while I like science, the math in chemistry boggles my brain. 😅

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never got that far in chemistry, probably just as well :)

      Delete
  5. I remember taking a careers test and it suggested things like a stunt person. I laughed so hard I caused myself injury. While I joke that I do all my own stunts regularly... just no!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes - I definitely know what I can and can't do.

    ReplyDelete