Coming Soon

Monday 5 June 2023

Older books more people should read

 While I liked the sound of this topic from Long and Short Reviews, I did twitch a little at the word "older". I'm constantly being reminded that now that I'm past forty I'm considered "older" myself, so I'm dreading seeing books listed that I don't think are old at all.

The ones I'm going to list, in any event, are the "Ring of Bright Water" trilogy by Gavin Maxwell, and "Gavin Maxwell: A Life" by Douglas Botting.

I discovered these in my teens, reading the biography first and then moving on to Maxwell's books. Gavin Maxwell was a complicated man and I certainly didn't agree with everything he did during his lifetime, but he cared deeply for animals and was an amazing writer. 

So which older books do you think more people should read?

9 comments:

  1. Cried my eyes out on the first book, didn't know he had more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The second was a little less good, but I loved the third.

      Delete
  2. I haven’t read any of them yet. They sound good!

    Lydia

    ReplyDelete
  3. They sound interesting from what I read by clicking the links. More books to add to my list, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm familiar with those, but I haven't actually read them. I like the idea of pairing them with the author's biography.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It definitely gave me a new perspective when I read them.

      Delete
  5. I knew "Ring of Bright Water" was In for years when I didn't read it, and then it was Out...I hadn't heard anything about Maxwell's doing anything to cause this.

    ReplyDelete