Coming Soon

Tuesday 28 February 2023

My favourite subject in school and why

 This topic from Long and Short Reviews brought back a few memories. I hated school, but was very academic, so loved to study and there were a lot of subjects I was good at, whether I liked them or not.

I was good at English and languages and loved them (although for some reason I didn't get on with a lot of the English teachers - I think they'd be quite surprised to hear I was a writer now) but my favourite subject?

Drama. Or Theatre Studies, as it was at A'Level.

At the time I wanted to be an actress, so I was always going to take that subject, even though my dad was ripping his hair out because he wanted me to take another language. I can remember working on monologues and duologues at A'Level, spending hours on the devised piece (a group piece written entirely by the students, and stressful as hell) and doing an abbreviated version of "The Tempest", which awakened my love of Shakespeare. But the other part I loved was getting to go and see plays all the time. We had to write reviews of them afterwards, but I was fine with that. I still do it now to a degree, although only a few lines in my journal these days.

So what was your favourite subject?

16 comments:

  1. I liked languages at school, especially German, however, I wasn't very good. Since discovering Duolingo, though, I've fared much better, and can string whole paragraphs together if I needed to... Speaking to an actual German human being however, would be tricky because Sie sprechen zu schnell! (they speak too quickly). I never got the chance to do drama, though I'd have loved to. The class was full by the time I decided on my 'choices'. My nephew studies drama and loves it though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did try Duolingo for a bit, but I've got out of the habit of learning languages now.

      Delete
  2. My school was too small to have a drama club, but it sounds fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved to study drama, but I gave up on the drama club as they gave all the good parts to whoever could shout the loudest.

      Delete
  3. I wanted so much to be in drama club, but I ran track. It was my ticket to college. As a teacher I was on stage for 27 years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It may be why I was never scared when running inductions for students.

      Delete
  4. SAME! Well, the drama part. Not the language part...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fair enough. Theatre is the one thing I've kept going all my life.

      Delete
  5. My school didn't have anything like theater or drama, even at the high school level. I just saw The Tempest for the first time and enjoyed it enormously. Which part did you play?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Caliban :) They gave me that part because nobody else was willing to crawl around on the floor, but I loved it.

      Delete
  6. I hadn't really thought through how much I enjoyed studying languages -- not just English -- in school, and later in college. Elementary-school me was very much interested in science, and that's still true.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did consider studying chemistry to A'Level, but decided to stick with arts instead.

      Delete
  7. I've always adored writing, every moment of it, even from a young age. So many of my English teachers kept saying, "Less is more, Laura!" Is it? I was denied writing for so long, when I was in an actively abusive relationship, that I will NEVER not write again...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My English teachers weren't very supportive of my writing, even the one who tried to make us write a sex scene in class. Which is a moment I've tried to forget...

      Delete
  8. We had a drama group...most kids got to take band, chorus, or drama, and I took chorus. The drama group seemed to be having fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved to sing, but could never play an instrument. I would still have picked drama though.

      Delete