Coming Soon

Monday 4 December 2023

My winter holiday traditions

 This topic from Long and Short Reviews was a good one, although whether I could call what we do "traditions" is open to question. 

For a start, having anything Christmassy in the house is limited until at least the second week of December. I always have an advent calendar (actually I have two this year) but the decorations don't go up until later because my husband, who is the one to put them up, is not a Christmas person. There are houses in our area that cover their entire place in lights, but we generally just stick to a tree and lights in the windows.

On Christmas Day we go over to the local working men's club with my in-laws for a drink before going back to theirs for Christmas dinner. My mother-in-law and sister-in-law are incredible cooks, so generally everyone eats enough to keep them going for about a week.

As far as presents go, this year we're doing a Secret Santa with my husband's family, so I'm only buying one present for family plus one for my niece. My husband and I will swap presents before we leave - mine will usually involve at least one surprise as I love surprises, but my husband is always well aware of what his presents are because he's not bothered - plus it's impossible to hide his presents around the house.

For New Year we go out to dinner and then usually go to the working men's club with my in-laws to ring it in. Apart from one year when somebody started a fight on the dancefloor, it's usually a great atmosphere to spend New Year in.

So what are your winter holiday traditions?

12 comments:

  1. I’m intrigued by that working men’s club, too!

    Lydia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Working men's clubs are common in the north of England as they're where the mill workers used to go of an evening. They're a good place to have a drink, meet friends and be entertained.

      Delete
  2. Yes... we want to hear more about that. And they both sound like wonderful ways to spend Christmas and New Year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Working men's clubs are common in the north of England as they're where the mill workers used to go of an evening. They're a good place to drink, meet friends and be entertained.

      Delete
  3. Grandmama always wanted Christmas down before the New Year came in. We leave ours up until Epiphany (okay.. to be honest sometimes it's up until way into February.. lol)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally Agree that it has to be at least a week after Thanksgiving before I'll do decor for the holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brought up an anti-Christmas Christian, I'm always relieved when people admit they don't decorate for holidays!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The decorations usually come down on the 6th in our house.

    ReplyDelete