Coming Soon

Monday 11 October 2021

An odd or useless talent

 This topic from Long and Short Reviews was an easy one for me, as I practise this one a lot, particularly recently.

Many years ago I had the intention of moving to the US and getting my green card. To that end I started memorising state capitals, presidents and so forth as I assumed those were the sorts of things I would be asked. Life happened and I never went, but I also never lost the ability to remember and continue to memorise these facts - most of which are completely useless.

I'm currently reading a book about the vice-presidents of America and have been memorising those. Will I ever need to know who the three VPs for Franklin D. Roosevelt were? Not unless I decide to appear on a quiz show, but hey, I've already been on The Chase, so why not? You may well see me on Pointless or Impossible, hoping against hope that a question about US states or presidents comes up.

So what odd or useless talent do you have?

4 comments:

  1. That’s a pretty cool talent.

    I had an elementary teacher who had us memorize all of the state capitols and which state they were in. I’m not sure how much of them I still recall, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still get mixed up on the Dakotas and Carolinas, but the rest are still there.

      Delete
  2. I remember memorizing state capitals and names of presidents, but I'm pretty sure that's all lost to my brain nowadays. Very cool.

    ReplyDelete