Coming Soon

Monday 27 April 2020

Reason why I stopped reading a series I loved

This topic from Long and Short Reviews was a tough one, because when I start a series I usually finish it even if it is driving me mad. So I struggled to find one that I had actually given up on.

I did, however, find one.

"The Forest of Hands and Teeth".

I had never read a zombie novel before so I thought I would give the series a try. The first one I enjoyed, although I did notice a couple of points which should have given me an idea of where the series was going. Unfortunately these points became serious annoyances in the second novel, which is why I gave up.

The reason? The utter inertia of the characters. Nobody could make a decision, nobody could do anything, they just sat and agonised about everything. I spent most of the second novel screaming "Just DO something!" Needless to say, the third novel and the prequel remained unbought, because I couldn't face any more characters who let the world go past them.

So what led you to give up on a series?

21 comments:

  1. That's something that would make me give up on a book, too.

    My <a href="https://lydiaschoch.com/wednesday-weekly-blogging-challenge-reasons-why-i-stopped-reading-a-series-i-loved/”>post</a>.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not much of a zombie lover in books...but I definitely get where you are coming from. My post is here: http://jhthomas.blogspot.com/2020/04/wednesday-weekly-blogging-challenge_29.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not much of a zombie lover full stop, but I'll try anything once.

      Delete
  3. That would drive me nuts with a book, too. Good post.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Totally agree, Tanith! This would make me not finish the series either.

    Here's mine: https://www.marymorganauthor.com/post/long-and-short-reviews-weekly-blog-challenge-04-29-20

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a shame, because otherwise the writing was good.

      Delete
  5. Great points. I enjoyed your blog, thanks for sharing. Here's mine. https://www.tenastetler.com/lsrs-wednesdays-blog-challenge-reason-why-i-stopped-reading-a-series-i-loved/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, characters who can't act, but just whine or argue. Drives me nuts.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The whole point of reading books is to watch the characters grow and change. If they don't, what's the point? Thanks for sharing your reasons.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gods yes, that would be a huge issue for me, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's disappointing. I have this on my TBR list. Maybe I'll just stick with the first book.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I didn't realise that was a series! I read the first book and enjoyed it too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It wasn't a long series - I think there were about four.

      Delete
  11. Indecisiveness would definitely make me put a series down. You just have to have some resolve at some point along the way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. There has to be some action somewhere.

      Delete