Coming Soon

Tuesday 19 March 2024

A book trope I wish wouldn't happen in real life

 This topic from Long and Short Reviews immediately jumped out at me, because there's one trope I absolutely hate and which came up again recently when I was reading "Valley of the Dolls".

I don't know if it has an official name, but I've always referred to it as "How dare you be a virgin!"

This one I've seen far too many times in books. Woman has her first time with the hero without mentioning she's a virgin, hero immediately realises this (women always have intact hymens in these things) and throws a fit. She's a virgin? How could she not tell him? Now she's going to have Expectations! Meanwhile the poor woman is lying there having her first time, which is presumably painful enough what with being intact, utterly ruined by this idiot ranting and raving.

Unfortunately I went through a similar experience as a teenager, as I had a boyfriend who was the game-playing sort and who also lived in a horrible part of town where there were lots of teen pregnancies. He informed me that he had had to tell all his friends about my innocence because the concept of a seventeen-year-old virgin was so bizarre that he needed to get their advice. (Seventeen, eh? How shocking.) I honestly don't know if he really hadn't ever met one before or if he was just trying to mess with my head - it was hard to say with him - but given I had friends who were the same age as me and also virgins, I was well aware he was being an idiot.

So which trope do you wish wouldn't happen in real life?

11 comments:

  1. Wow, Tanith, I'm sorry your bf was an arsehole. I agree, this is a tired trope that doesn't ever need to be real.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I’m so sorry, Tanith. I hate that, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It puts me right off when it shows up in a book.

      Delete
  3. I agree that that trope and the whole fixation on female virginity or lack there of needs to go away. Sorry about your experience.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ugh, you are completely right on this one - and I'm so sorry it's one from your own experience. First times are awkward enough without sexist drama entering into the picture. No one owes anyone their sexual history beyond making sure they're being responsible about STDs etc, so it's ridiculous that this is something that is even up for critique!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Is "Made a mistake and kissed a snake" too long a name? I had a hard time thinking of one, but am writing now.

    PK

    ReplyDelete
  6. That sounds utterly terrible - I've not come across it as a trope in books and as a real life experience that must have been awful.

    Honestly, we're shamed if we ARE a virgin but then shamed if we're not/have slept with the 'wrong' number of men. We just can't win!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed - this is why I avoid the topic completely when I write!

      Delete