Coming Soon

Tuesday 2 January 2024

Hobbies I used to enjoy

 It's the first Long and Short Reviews topic of 2024, and I struggled a bit to think of a hobby I don't still have. In the end, I could only come up with one... singing.

I used to be a trained classical singer - I took lessons every week, never doing any exams (I'm terrible at music theory) but performing musical theatre, classical, some pop and a little operetta. I performed in a few Gilbert and Sullivan shows, always in small roles, but they were so much fun to do I never cared that I wasn't a soloist.

When my singing teacher retired, I auditioned at a different music school. They were happy to take me on, but they couldn't offer any times I could actually do, and I didn't like the tutor enough to shift things around. He informed me during my audition that I had no business singing "I'll Give My Life For You" because I didn't have children. Well, pal, I've done Sweeney Todd as well but I've never baked a man in a pie.

So which hobbies did you enjoy?

18 comments:

  1. Haha! What a strange thing to say to a person. I'm almost certain actors who've played serial killers haven't actually gone full method and offed some people... anyway... I love to sing... I can't... but I do anyway, much to the annoyance of my husband and nephew. It's been proven that singing, no matter how terrible, can actually make you feel great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did love it at the time. Can't sing a note now :)

      Delete
  2. I love this story. What a cool hobby.

    And, goodness, you should have been allowed to sing that song.

    Lydia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I did think it was a ridiculous reason. Isn't the entire point that it's acting, not reality?

      Delete
  3. Well, at least baking a man in a pie isn't on the list of hobbies you used to enjoy...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry that the singing didn't work out for you in the end. But ugh on that tutor, what a jerk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably for the best. No idea what he'd have actually let me sing.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Yes, I regret not continuing but will never regret not learning from him.

      Delete
  6. What a lousy teacher.... glad you didn't get on with them. That's like saying I couldn't sing "Don't Cry for Me Argentina" because I'm not Argentinian. Stupid. 'Kay.... getting off my soapbox.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh... sorry.. Judy here... lol. I got so heated up I forgot.

      Delete
    2. I certainly don't regret not wasting my money on him.

      Delete
  7. LOL... at least not one she's willing to admit ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, what a weird take on the part of the teacher. Choosing your songs based on your vocal range - yes. Choosing your songs based on your previous lived experiences only - no. I mean Luke Combs topped the charts with Tracy Chapman's "Fast Car" and didn't even change the lyric " I work in a market as a checkout girl".
    -- Greta

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. It would rule out an awful lot of songs.

      Delete
  9. Wow, what a strange and insensitive comment! Ah people, we be strange creatures some times, lol. I'm glad you were able to enjoy singing and preforming while it lasted though!

    ReplyDelete