Coming Soon

Tuesday 1 November 2022

What sci-fi/fantasy book I'd like to visit

 This topic from Long and Short Reviews took some consideration, as I don't read a lot of sci-fi or fantasy, and the few I've read tend to be either dystopian or just gloomy. I loved the "Red Dwarf" novels, for instance, but wouldn't want to be stuck on a mining ship three million years into space. And the "Foundation" series is about a failing society, so not exactly fun.

In the end it was remembering a story I wrote as a teenager that gave me an idea. Though it's thankfully now disappeared, I wrote a futuristic story about a girl who goes to a computer game academy on a different planet, and one scene took place in a dazzling restaurant which was inspired by Douglas Adams' Restaurant at the End of the Universe.

That would be where I would visit. I'm not too bothered about the rest of the planet-hopping in "Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy", but visiting the Restaurant at the End of the Universe would suit me just fine. Maybe not with the talking cow, though - that might be pushing it too far.

So which sci-fi or fantasy book would you like to visit?

6 comments:

  1. Hitchhiker is a fun book!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never read Hitchiker but saw the movie so I could imagine what you are meaning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The TV version had an amazing scene in the Restaurant - exactly how I imagined it.

      Delete