Coming Soon

Tuesday 14 July 2020

Things I collect

Looking at this topic from Long and Short Reviews, there was only really one answer to give. I've been a collector of a lot of things over the years - I used to collect keyrings as a child, and had a huge bunch of them before I was forced to throw them out when I left home - but I have one thing in particular I've been collecting for the last few years.

Autographs. Occasionally via eBay, but primarily through writing to celebrities.


The above is one of my Holy Grails. Gene Wilder was well known for being difficult to get unless you jumped through certain hoops - you had to provide your own photo, mention more than one thing you'd seen him in (no hardship there, I loved his work) and add that you knew he was a very busy man, otherwise you'd get a pre-print and a note about how he was too busy to sign. I managed to get it right, and the above picture was the result.


I have also bought autographs by way of celebrities' websites, such as the Felissa Rose one above. These are better than going via eBay since you can pretty much guarantee they're genuine and you can also get them personalised, which is a win for me since I'm never going to sell them.

So what do you collect?

21 comments:

  1. What a neat thing to collect! Do you have them framed? or in a special display somewhere? My post is http://jhthomas.blogspot.com/2020/07/wednesday-weekly-blogging-challenge_15.html if you want to come by.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're all in files at the moment, although I do have one of Timothy Dalton on display.

      Delete
  2. What a cool thing to collect! How many autographs do you think you have?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's got to be about four hundred at this point. I've lost count!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. He was always my favourite, closely followed by Alan Rickman.

      Delete
  4. That is awesome! What an incredible autograph to have from Gene Wilder! I've been wanting to get autographs of some celebrities for my kids, but some I looked up don't have websites and I never knew how to go about getting them without attending conventions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some do reply if you write to their agent; there are websites like fanmail.biz which give feedback on contact addresses.

      Delete
  5. Okay, so autographs aren't really my thing but Gene Wilder? Wow. That's really cool.

    My answer is here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's awesome, and I love Gene Wilder, too, so totally jealous!

    My post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great post. Enjoy Gene Wilder. Thanks for sharing. Here's mine.https://www.tenastetler.com/things-i-collect-lsr-wednesdayblogchallenge/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! How interesting. Enjoyed your collection. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gene Wilder's is a rare treasure. Great man. https://pmprescott.blogspot.com/2020/07/wc-071520.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. That Gene Wilder photo is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was the best one I could find of him.

      Delete