Coming Soon

Monday 18 March 2019

Characters I Want to Meet


The main problem I had with this topic from Long and Short Reviews’ blog hop was narrowing it down. Nearly every time I read a good book I find a character I want to meet.

However, the first time I can remember feeling this way was when I read the Foundation series by Isaac Asimov. Hari Seldon, the inventor of psychohistory, is a highly intelligent and also highly charismatic character, able to present a fascinating area of study in an interesting way. I particularly enjoyed him in Prelude to Foundation, where he is shown as a young man, ably fighting off attackers with martial arts and charming Dors Venabili, the woman who would become his wife.

My favourite female characters, on the other hand, are Cassandra Mortmain and Emma Woodhouse. Cassandra, of I Capture the Castle, is a writer and acute observer of people, capable of feeling intensely while also flawed enough to make her human. And Emma, of Jane Austen fame, is equally flawed but also equally witty and intelligent. I love watching her try to matchmake other people while being blissfully unaware of her own heart.

Of course, as a writer myself, I often find myself writing characters I want to meet. So I’ll finish off with my favourite hero Ash Drake from The Hand He Dealt



Tall, blond and athletic, Ash initially presents as a stereotypical meathead, a college football player who knows his way around women. But as my heroine Astra gets to know him, she finds a passionate and exciting man underneath.

So which characters would you like to meet?

12 comments:

  1. It's been years since I've read the Foundation books.. and I'm not sure I ever read the prelude... putting those down on my list for the next time I go to the library! I went with my first "want to meets": http://jhthomas.blogspot.com/2019/03/wednesday-blogging-challenge-characters.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My dad got me into them - I always loved Asimov. Less keen on his robot stories though.

      Delete
  2. Wow ... the Foundation Books. I read those decades ago (since I'm something something years old. And I agree about narrowing it down! It was HARD. I'm here: http://www.mariannearkins.com/wednesday-weekly-blogging-challenge-characters-id-like-to-meet/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been a while since I read them myself - I discovered them again when we recently moved house!

      Delete
  3. Cassandra is a wonderful choice. I'd like to meet her, too!

    My post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's always been one of my favourite characters.

      Delete
  4. I loved Astra and Ash. I'd love to meet them, too. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great list. Haven't ever heard of that series by Isaac Asimov before though, will have to look into it now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh, I should read the Foundation series. I never have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're well worth it, although can be hard going in places.

      Delete